Wednesday 21 August 2013

Trig 1317 Mt Maunganui

I'm not a big 'Mount' fan.  Maybe because Papamoa, where I live, is the poor little sister?  Maybe because it's a 20 min drive away and hard to get a park?  Maybe the Maori blood which I don't have has connected me to my own Maunga, Papamoa? 

Mostly, it's because there are too many people.  Walkers, runners, pram pushers.  And mostly fairly glammed up.  To run around the Mount, you must either wear mascara, or an event t-shirt.  Preferably one which proclaims you are some super-athlete so this 4.5km run is probably only one of many laps you'll be doing as part of the training schedule of the super athlete which you are.  So, to my dishonour, when I go I put on my Tauranga Half-Ironman T shirt.  I'm pretty sure they can tell, that I only did the half ironman in a team, and the run leg in 30 degrees was the worst 2 hours something of my life. 

Anyway, I digress.  The dislike I have of the Mount has had me ignore it as a possible trig, even as an emergency one.  I wouldn't stoop so low.  But a friend said "You have to get the MOUNT, it's iconic!"

She regretted that comment.  Because after a ladies bike mechanics evening at a local store, she was dragged out in the pouring rain at 9pm, to climb the iconic Mount.  It was so cold when we got out of the car, we couldn't bear to take off trackpants, or in my case cargo pants. 

Head torches on, we headed up the 4wd track, looking back and enjoying the lights glowing through the soft rain.  The surf at Matakana Island glowed white against the black sea, and the lights of Katikati were visible in the distance.  By the time we made the far side of the Mount, the rain was coming in sideways, the sort of enormous drops which make you truly wet.  My cargo pants were absolutely drenched and the rest of the walk became a waddle, alternating with a hitch, as I tried to stop their new 2kg weight from falling down. 

Photos at the top "Hurry up Tui!"  "It's hard to take photos on a touch screen when your hands are drenched!"


 At least we had the Mount to ourselves for once.  Only rabbits and sheep to share it with, no mascara in sight. 




No comments:

Post a Comment