Saturday 30 August 2014

Accidental Trigs - Paku

So, as I mentioned in my earlier blog, I'm spending the weekend as laundry lady, I mean support crew for Tom at the Coromandel Classic.  Today I have wished him luck then deserted him on a cold dark startline and raced him to the Kauaeranga Valley.  I've set up his transition area, given him his runnign shoes, been startled at his cold pale face, and sent him off on a 27km mountain run. 





Then I racked his MTB, drove for nearly two hours to Coroglen, set up another transition area and waited.  I've managed not to sound panicked when he turns up covered in blood and his hands taped up after a wrestle with a cutty grass bush.  Then I realise that the blood on his face is actually because his nose is bleeding.  I give him his road bike and then make my way to Tairua, stopping regularly and waiting for him to go past to cheer him on. 

At the finish line (for today!) I load him into the car, take him to the bach we're renting and send him to the shower while I hand wash all of his clothes.  It takes 7 basins to get the dirt out of his socks.  I give him a leg massage, feed him and leave him tucked up at home while I head out on my own adventures. 

Overlooking Tairua is the fantastic craggy peak, a little bit like Mount Maunganui.  It has some caches hidden on it, so, gammy calf and all, I head off for a run.  I run for all of 15 minutes and my gammy calf starts getting tighter so I walk, weaving my way up this crazy public walkway which goes down people's driveways and apparently through back yards.  As I walk up consecutive flights of stairs, my calf just decides it's toast.  Three weeks of growing tightness reach a peak and I'm done.  (update - the physio says the calf was just so tight, it caused a tear!).  So I'm left hobbling to the top (it has to be done, I can't go home defeated). 

The summit has AMAZING views, it makes me consider moving here.  I share it with some bikies, which is why the trig is leather clad in the photo.  They rode 80% of the way up, while I limped up a million stairs. 
Paku #2, A6LT

The cache has been stolen, but the unexpected trig is prize enough for me.  Although maybe not prize enoughto recompense an injury a few weeks out from a big race.....?



No comments:

Post a Comment