Tuesday 2 May 2017

That time I thought I'd get a PB without any training

After some recent health issues, and with surgery pending later this year, in late March a wrote a melodramatic Bucket List of goals for April.  One of them was a Sub 2hour half marathon.

The reason I aimed for a sub 2 hour PB was just because anything starting with a 1 is SO much faster than something starting with a 2.  A whole hour faster really.  There was no basis in talent, form, training.......... it was  just a number I wanted.

Unfortunately, the Post It note on the wall above the computer didn't do it's magic and motivate me to actually run.  Remember, I hate running - I had hoped the post it would exude some magic motivation, but maybe I need a pink one. 

So I went out to run a half marathon, having run over 10kms all of four times in the last four months. I had said I'd do it (stupidly) to two people, so I was bloody well going to give it my best shot. 

I was on track (just) until the half way turn around point; at which stage my pace consistently drops from on track, to coping, to not coping, to shuffling, to demoralised, in pain, knowing-it's-a-stupid-idea-and-heading-for-injury.



2:04:40.  Still a PB for me - but only about a minute faster than a hillier Rotorua trail course.  I've only actually ever run a half marathon twice before.  I guess I'll need to run at least one more.....



No comments:

Post a Comment