Wednesday 18 December 2013

Birthday Bliss

My birthday present this year was a complete surprise!  Masterminded by my husband, with childcare duties by Mum, we headed to Rotorua on Monday afternoon.  We had a lovely swim in Blue Lake before checking into our hotel.  Or it would have been lovely, if Tom the gimpy swimmer, hadn't completely kicked my ass and dropped me.  I do realise, this was a social swim, not a race, but it was still a marked difference from a year ago when I laughed when he hopped in the pool. 

He's spent the last four months, up at 5am twice a week, in an ex-olympian's swim squad.  He's swum through the embarrassment, the pain, the breathlessness, and this week, he swam right past me.  I'm incredibly proud of him............  but it was the ONLY thing I can do better than him and now I'M the gimpy swimmer.  :/

Anyway, Tuesday morning we head off to the Redwoods together.  Together.  For parents of two small children, we manage to squeeze an awful lot of training and fun in, both with the kids and each on our own.  But, together??  Is very rare. 

Today I start my 12 month goal, of riding all the (non expert) trails in the Redwoods.  I can tick off:

A-Trail
Be Rude Not 2
Dragon Tail
Bunny Jugs
Bunny Jugs 2
Lion Trail
Tokorangi
Exit Trail


Not a bad bag for the first session out. 

Moment of the day:  Following Tom through a little technical bit of the A-Trail that's got some unfortunate ruts lately, and he calls back "Woah, get off for that bit".  Having ridden it within the last couple of weeks, I back myself and head through quite happily.  He stops and looks at me and says "You're quite a good rider you know."  I'll hold that little bit close for a while.  :)

Merry Christmas everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment