Tuesday 1 January 2013

MTB Polhill Reserve A2LP

The 1st of January 2013, and I have done my January Trig already!  I'm on fire!!  And planning to continue this fine commitment and organisational form for the entire year................   Yeah Right!

Actually, this one was a bit of an accident.  We've had a lovely week in Wellington, Te Papa, Zoo, Zealandia, Junglerama, Botanic Gardens...... but except for last weeks Trig run, I've been going at small child pace for a whole week. I've loved the things we've done, but I've let the girls drive the pace, holding their hands, moving on to something new when they want to.  So, after a night at home on NY Eve, I was busting today for a bit of my own pace.

My sister-in-law Sarah took me out to Polhill reserve on our mountain bikes, on the same loop she had taken her brothers a couple of days earlier.  Weaving from Kilbirnie through to the Te Aro Valley, amongst Wellington traffic, multiple lane changes, numerous traffic lights, I felt more unsafe than I do on any single track downhill!


We rode up Transient, across Highland Fling, up the Roller Coaster and back down Transient.  It's great to be able to ride in some light forest, within the city limits, and we got some great views across the city from the top.  It's such a free feeling to go at my own pace, unhindered by small children, and I enjoy it so much I push quite hard to the top, even though my legs and lungs complain.  The only disappointment is that the tracks are multipurpose, dual way, which means we can coast back down but can't really go for it on the single track. Still, it's a nice sweeping trail, definitely single and with enough switchbacks and tree roots to keep it interesting.  Bliss! 

At the top we spot a large WWII type concrete bunker, with a trig conveniently placed on it's North side.  We're late, but it's worth the five minute detour to bag another trig.  A2 LP, Polhill.  1.1.13.  :)






3 comments:

  1. Are there any you can swim to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant idea!! Check this out http://apps.linz.govt.nz/gdb/?mode=gmap Matakana No 2, A3PL. Do you think we could swim from Omokoroa to Matakana??? Seeing as it's your idea, you have to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And..... I need to get Manu to kayak with me to Motuhora, A4UX off the coast of Whakatane!
    Mokoia No 2 in Lake Rotorua - although I'm not sure if that's tapu.....

    ReplyDelete