Friday 19 June 2015

Manawahe Adventure Race with the Mad Hatters

Five years ago, it all started here:


Manu (left) was the undisputed adventure racing queen and the one who knew which way up a map and a bike went.  Sal (right) had been a sponsored athlete in the Spring Challenge Adventure race, and had the hi-vis PakNSave jacket to prove it.  Clare had just got the trainer wheels off her mountain bike, and it's pretty clear that I bought the MAD into the Mad Hatters, which is our team name.

Clare still has post-traumatic stress disorder and nightmares about the huge hill in the Rawhiti MTB park.  Manu's partner has never offered to crew for us again after we were dead last out of the second leg.  I missed the archery target by so much they never found the arrow again.  Someone, (who was that?) got stuck waist deep in the estuary mud and we had to go back and haul them out.  We were late to registration so the only shirts left were size XL so we had to adapt them to actually make them suitable for exercise.  Except Clare who still wears hers for PJs.  I chopped mine in half and still had enough left for that mask I'm wearing.  Thinking back, I think this was the most fun and laughs I've ever had racing.  Especially when Manu fell off her bike on the flat grass.



I've got completely sidetracked from the point of this post, which is the 2016 Mad Hatters reunion for the Manawahe Adventure Race.  But I don't want it to cloud these fond memories so I'll start a new post for that one.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment