Friday 11 April 2014

Can I do it? Yes I can.

Tomorrow I'm heading off to Rotorua for the Xterra Off Road Triathlon.  This has really been a secondary event to Rotorua Marathon, and I've been having a vague panic as reality sets in.  Rotorua Marathon is a MARATHON.  42 kilometres.  And, as I often say, I'm not a runner.  Xterra Triathlon, I realised too late, is not a kiwisport event.  There are no prizes for participation.  The bike leg is a Grade 3-4 technical MTB, which straight away eliminates many ladies who may be keen to give it a go.  After a full ride of the bike leg a few weeks ago, I looked up previous results to see how I may compare to past entrants. I would be LAST in my age group for the bike.  And it's my strongest discipline.

So, today, the nerves are in my tummy.  As much as I'm keen to get out and give it a go, I don't want to be completely out of my league.  And I've just spent the evening packing, and the state of my gear is borderline embarrassing, and presents some practical issues.  My MTB shoes have cracked straps and are impossible to put on quickly.  My wetsuit is so ripped through the armpits I look like I've had a run in with a werewolf.  My helmet pads are so worn thin, they hang from within like little octopus tentacles, and I get a velcro mark on my forehead where one is missing.  I ripped my last swim cap this week.  I don't own bungee laces.  My bike shorts either slip down and expose my builder's crack, or are so worn you can see my builder's crack through them.  And I'm going to be lining up next to international athletes?  I'm nervous AND grouchy.


A need for reassurance has sent me to my Garmin training records.  A bit of nifty calculation and here it goes:

So far in 2014, three and a half months........

I have ridden 427 km

and run 347 km.

Tomorrow I only have to ride 26 and run 11.  No worries.

(PS don't mention the swim, or you'll send me into a spiral of despair again.)



No comments:

Post a Comment