Thursday 10 October 2013

Injured!

Within hours of creating my new super snazzy training plan.  I'm injured.  Brilliant.  Serves me right.  What a crappy way to start.  I was doing better BEFORE I had a training plan.  I was all excited about these goals I was going to achieve, heightened motivation, a real determination, so as a result, now I'm even more disappointed.  If I had known I was about to fall, I wouldn't have climbed the ladder to the roof.

I've got flat feet, and some womble at ASICS changed their footprint this year and they don't fit me anymore.  After months of uncertainty, my old shoes finally wore out completely, and I've been running in cheap shoes without stability control for months.  Since March actually.

Thought process:  "Those dastardly shoe corporations, with their emotive marketing strategies, I've wasted a FORTUNE on stability control shoes for years, because look, I've been running in these ones for months and I'm just FIIIIIIIIIIINE!!!!"

My knees been sore for the last few weeks, tender till I'm warmed up then niggly towards the end of  a run.  I'm doing more K's so thought that was natural and I'd soldier on, toughen up and get over it.  But last night's run, we went out to Otawa, doing our usual rough run over roots and brush.  It's hard going and can be jarring, particularly on the downhill, where I slipped a little on a mossy tree root.  We were at 9km, a shorter run because Clare wasn't feeling so well, and I was getting these sharp stabbing pains with each step.  Managed to finish the run, drove home and nearly rolled out of the car because I could hardly move it.  So sore after my shower that I could barely get up from the ground and had to find some drugs, which I hate taking. 

DR Google said something about an ITB, weak glutes and hamstrings, overpronating, blah blah blah.

So I rang a friend.  He works at Fisher & Paykel.  I see you're struggling to make the connection, but he's just one of those capable people who knows pretty much everything and you'd trust with your life.  He's SO amazing, he gave up a successful physio business to do some business-y scholarship overseas, and now, what he does for a job is beyond my intellectual understanding.  Anyways, I rang Johnmolloy.  (And you might think his name is John..... Molloy, but they're actually amalgamated and he's called Johnmolloy.  I'm sure it's a long story but I can't actually remember it.)

Gosh, I'm waffling tonight.  I think it's the anti-inflammatories.  I'm not good on drugs which is why I try to avoid them.

Anyway, the general gist that I got from Johnmolloy:
1  See a really good physio and get a whole lot of exercises to fix all the weak muscles in my body.  Booked.
2.  New shoes a good idea, but not as good an idea as some strengthening.   (Now I need to change all my workouts to include 10 mins exercises and stretches.)
3.  I can still run, within my limits.  (It was too blimmin sore to run, think I'll be avoiding that for a while)
4.  If biking feels good, go for it.  (Biking it is)
5.  It's a common runner's injury.

DID YOU HEAR THAT!!???  It's a runner's injury.  I'm a runner.   Johnmolloy said, so it must be true. 

1 comment:

  1. The things that you will do to avoid a long run with me at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete