Friday 18 October 2013

Windtraining

For anyone who doesn't know, wind training is when you pop your bike on a special roller system in the garage, so when you pedal, you don't actually go anywhere.  It turns your bike into an exercycle so you can get your training session done without leaving home.

Personally, I think part of the point of training is actually to leave home?  But anyway, two mornings a week, Tom gets up at 5am to go swimming and I wake up.  I've tried for weeks to roll over and pretend I'm asleep, but actually I'm just lying there not wanting to get up so I've decided to do something worthwhile with that time.  Seeing as the girls are still sleeping, and I can't leave home, I have my bike set up on the windtrainer.  As a windtrainer novice, I've learned a few things over the last couple of months.

1  Start in an easy gear.  Otherwise, when you try to do a set on a harder gear to 'challenge' yourself, you will want to vomit.

2  Have a fan.  No matter if it's winter and you're in the garage, you're not actually moving.  It's amazing how warm the body gets when there is no wind chill factor.


3  Have a towel.  Because even if you don't sweat,  like me, chances are you will sweat on a windtrainer.

4.  Wear as little as possible.  Comfy bike shorts and a sports bra is more than enough as your body hits high temperatures.  It's the only time my muffin top is ever exposed in training, although sometimes the sight of it disturbs me and I pull the waistband of my shorts up and pretend I have abs.

5  Snot and Sweat.  Cycle gloves have little terry towel absorbent bits.  Left for sweat and right for snot.  On the road, snot can be snorted as long as no other cyclist is immediately behind you.  Husbands will frown on this practise on the garage floor beside the workbench.

6  Ensure the bike is firmly connected to the windtrainer.  Ejecting from the windtrainer while spinning at 90rpm only inches from the workbench with all manner of tools, equipment and broken toys waiting to be mended, can only be distastrous.


No comments:

Post a Comment