Friday 18 October 2013

Physio

So, I've been to the physio today. 

It was better than a stage show. 

For the record, my chosen physio is highly recommended by a good physio friend, and a number of friends who use his services all completely rate him.  Even Tom reckons he's worth the money.  I have now experienced first hand, the magic of being truly 'physio-ed'.

He wobbled my legs, wiggled them, rotated them, pulled them, pushed them, on angles and planes I hadn't even imagined.  And then, in a moment which should be punctuated with "Eureka" he said "Do you feel that?"  I was completely oblivious but trying to look intelligent, which obviously he's used to because he repeated the movement. He holds my knee firm to the physio table where I am lying on my back and gently pulls my foot upwards (hyper extended the knee).  Left leg and I look politely interested as it slowly moves up a little.  Right leg, and hey presto, there's not any resistance, the foot just flies up.

An injury to a P-something in the back of my knee, alongside weaknesses in something and my hamstring, which aren't pulling my leg forward as they are supposed to after each step.  So the ITB is having to do the work which is then hurting in my knee.  

I find that quite magic, that in less than 5 minutes, he's discovered things about my body which I haven't even noticed in many years of living in it. That I've taken thousands of steps, on hockey fields, soccer pitches, roads, trails, and didn't know my hamstrings were crap. 

Treatment:  "Exercises and I'll see you next week.  Don't go for a run."  Or maybe he said "No running."  That might sound like the same thing to you, but I feel there is an important difference in the two running statements.  So, I have been very sensible and have not put on my running shoes, found a trail and "gone for a run".  However, there may have been a touch rugby game which we didn't have enough girls for, and that may have involved some running..............

No comments:

Post a Comment